More than ever before, Australia is earning its stripes in terms of the talent, skills and thinking they bring to the world as a proud global citizen. That’s why Westpac is working together with some of the best universities in the country to invest in the brightest, most innovative early career researchers. Not just to enable them to do their best work, but to actively help them influence positive change in Australia.
- With just two Fellowships awarded annually, they work closely with you on building your profile, developing your leadership skills and expanding your networks. And of course, there’s the fully flexible funding, which involves a minimum of $400,000 over five years. For the first time, researchers who hold other awards are able to apply for a Westpac Research Fellowship.
- In addition to a full time salary, your research will be boosted holistically by a range of experiences that only Westpac Scholars can offer. You can tap into Westpac’s extensive networks for ongoing professional development and opportunities, as well as having direct access to senior business leaders and industry-based experts. Westpac Research Fellows will participate in a bespoke Leadership 360 program with the current Fellows to enhance their leadership capabilities and foster cross-sector collaboration to support innovation in Australia.
- As a Westpac Research Fellow, you’ll become part of the Westpac 100 Scholars Network. Lifelong membership to this network gives you access to one of Australia’s most diverse meetings of like-minds. Drawing on the Scholars’ strong sense of purpose and desire to collaborate, the network is designed to be inspiring, influential and a life-long learning experience.
- Open to an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- You have been awarded a PhD between September 1, 2014 and September 1, 2017; or have obtained an Eligibility Exemption from the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Research) or equivalent if your PhD was awarded prior to September 1, 2014.
- Your proposed area of research is in a field of research at a participating university with an Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) four digit Field of Research (FOR) rating “well above world standing” in the ERA 2018 exercise. For a comprehensive list of FOR ratings by university, visit the Australian Research Council’s website.
- You are able to commence the Fellowship by June 30, 2021.
- Your proposed research will contribute to the future of Australia in one of the Foundation’s three focus areas (please note: funding requests for the purpose of medical research as defined in the ARC Medical Research Policy available on the Australian Research Council website will not be considered).
- Your proposed research includes international opportunities to develop your leadership skills and global networks, such as; study tours for the purpose of research, attending a short course or conference, an internship or volunteering.
- You are able to supply two letters of reference, one academic reference and one personal reference; and a letter of support from the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Research).
- You are able to attend the National Assessment Centre held in Sydney on December 8/9, 2020.
Fellowship applicants must demonstrate:
- Academic excellence and achievements to date.
- A supportive and high quality research environment.
- A desire to be part of and contribute to the Westpac 100 Scholars Network.
- A strong sense of connection to Australia and commitment to improving the lives of others.
- The attributes of a Westpac Research Fellow.
The Westpac Research Fellowship is offered at four leading Australian universities:
- The Australian National University
- The University of Melbourne
- The University of Queensland
- The University of Sydney
Your proposed program of study can be in any field of world class standing at one of these universities, and must be relevant to the Foundation’s focus areas.
How To Apply
For more information, visit Westpac Research Fellowship.
Application Deadline: August 25, 2020