This is a no joke process because a lot of things are involved here. Thinking about how to write an effective job description plays a vital role in attracting qualified candidates to your company.
Yes, it true because whether you’re advertising online or placing a traditional newspaper ad, you need to write a job description that’s concise and informative.
How to Write an Effective Job Description
No matter what type of position you are advertising, the job description should include the following information:
1. Job Title
Avoid vague, trendy, or clever titles in favor of a title that clearly describes the position. If you’re looking for a customer service representative, don’t list the job title as a client satisfaction officer. Make it easy for a potential employee to decide if he or she is interested.
2. A Brief Description of Your Company
Even if you’re a nationally known brand, including a sentence or two about what your company does and why someone would want to work for you is a good way to attract attention to your job description.
3. Description of the Required Hours
You should obviously include whether it’s a part-time or full-time position, but it’s also important to list any specific requirements in regards to working nights, evenings, or weekends.
4. Duties and Responsibilities
Listing the primary tasks associated with the position helps ensure that applicants don’t apply unless they’re interested in this specific type of work.
5. Required Skills and Experience
List the qualifications you believe are vital to the position. This might include specific certifications or proficiency in a certain software package.
6. Desired Qualifications
If you’re looking for an experience that would be a plus but isn’t essential, you can include this as well. For example, you might give preference to someone with a master’s degree or fluency in a foreign language.
7. Compensation Package
You don’t necessarily need to provide an exact salary for the position, but highlighting health insurance, retirement, or other benefits your company offers might help draw the attention of qualified applicants.
If you offer unusual perks, such as the option to work from home, mention this as well.
8. How to Apply
This might include filling out an online application or emailing a specific company representative with a resume. Include a deadline for applications, if necessary.
Even after reading this guide, I know you are still bothered by how to write an effective job description, but I will give you a sample on how to do that.
So, don’t trouble yourself much because here we always provide you with the basic information you need to succeed anywhere and anytime.
Sample of a Job Description
If you are publishing a job description online, space will be less of a consideration. Here you can use bullets to highlight key points, as shown in this sample job description for a marketing manager:
Do you have an eye for fashion and experience differentiating a brand through creative copywriting? If so, let’s talk!
Mia & Fred is a rapidly growing women’s apparel company specializing in affordable, plus size clothing for women ages 20-45. We’re seeking a full-time marketing manager for our Sacramento office.
Duties Will Include:
- Creating media plans, marketing proposals, and related promotional materials.
- Overseeing web development and site updates.
- Developing a social media strategy to promote brand identity.
- Working with members of the media to ensure optimum exposure and value for product placements.
- Planning special events, including fall and spring fashion shows.
- Hiring and overseeing freelancers and contractors on an as-needed basis.
Candidates Must Have:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, communications, or a related field.
- Five years of professional work experience in a corporate or agency environment.
- Experience driving customer acquisition through lead generation programs.
- Familiarity with marketing automation tools.
- Strong project management, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet stringent deadlines.
- Availability for occasional travel.
Compensation is commensurate with experience but includes a full benefits package and the option for partial telecommuting. Apply online at miafred.com by March 20.
With the above sample now, you have a clear understanding of what needs to done and how it should be listed orderly. Do you know that something is still left behind before you can write a brilliant job description? But, what do you think that could be? It is the revising and editing part of the job description.
Revise and Edit
Revising and editing is a vital part of the writing process, even when you’re preparing a job description. The more efficient your writing, the more effective your communication will be.
Seeking feedback from people who are familiar with the requirements of the position can help ensure that your job description will succeed in attracting top talent to your company.