AI for Development (AI4Dev) is a challenge that aims to identify great ideas in Artificial Intelligence (AI) and utilize its impact on four Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the Arab & African states.
With this challenge, they are targeting AI integrated solutions for one of the below United Nations Sustainable Development Goals:
- Goal 2
- Wasting less food
- Achieving food security and improved nutrition
- Promoting sustainable agriculture
- Goal 3
- Ensuring healthy lives
- Promoting well-being for all at all ages
- Goal 8
- Creating job opportunities for youth
- Promoting sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth
- Promoting full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Goal 9
- Fostering innovation
- Building resilient infrastructure
- Promoting inclusive and sustainable industrialization
If you can innovatively provide a solution for one of the targeted SDGs, your idea will be selected to receive mentorship and training from experts in the field, guidance in developing prototypes and exposure while presenting to industry experts, in the attendance of representatives from UN, and multinational organizations.
Above all of that, 4 winners will be granted prizes valued as follows:
- 1st Place Winner: $5,000 USD
- 2nd Place Winner: $3,000 USD
- 3rd Place Winner: $2,000 USD
- 4th Place Winner: $2,000 USD
- Open to diverse team of not less than 2 with at least 1 female member, and have the business and technical skills needed to move forward with your idea;
- Your idea relates to at least one the four stated tracks of SDGs and applies to at least the country of submission;
- Your product is needed urgently and will impact vulnerable groups and beneficiaries;
- AI is the core of your idea and is being used innovatively as an integral part of the solution;
- The solution you are offering must be scalable with minimal investments needed in new geolocations.
How To Apply
All it takes to create an impactful AI solution with ITU is to pass through 5 Milestones:
- Application: You will be requested to provide information about yourself & your team as well as a brief about your Idea.
- Selection: All Applications will be evaluated, and applicants will be shortlisted according to the evaluation metrics.
- Challenge: The applicants will receive different types of technical and business support by experts in the field.
- Judging: Judges will evaluate the applicants’ ideas and prototypes, shortlist them and choose the winners according to criteria.
- Closing Ceremony: The ceremony will take place virtually where the winners will be notified, and the prizes will be announced.
Application Deadline: November 17, 2020