The DAAD along side the University of Oldenburg, Germany are jointly organising the DIES (Dialogue on Innovative Higher Education Strategies) University Leadership and Management Training Program (UNILEAD) in Oldenburg, enabling young managers at higher education institutions in developing countries to successfully tackle every-day challenges.
UNILEAD (University Leadership and Management Training Course) is an English-language further education program for University Leaders from Southeast Asia, East and South Africa, Central and South America and the Middle East. The aim of UNILEAD is to support the participants in the development, conception and implementation of innovative projects in the field of personnel and organizational development.
Program Content and Methodology
UNILEAD focuses on three key areas:
- Project Management: This includes courses on Methodology of Project Management and Financial Management in projects.
- Strategic Management & Academic Leadership: This includes courses of theoretical basics and practical tools for the development and implementation of Strategic Management and acquisition of competences in the area of Leadership.
- Human Resource Management: This includes courses on Instruments of Human Resource Development, Conflict Management and Communication.
In order to complement these three modules, additional topics, such as Risk Management, Team and Key Competences, and Acting with Confidence, are touched upon. In addition, a web-seminar on the topic of “Digital Transformation in Higher Education” is integrated into the curriculum. The core of the entire program is an individual and practice-oriented change project that participants are required to propose in their application.
During the contact phases the participants will be guests of the University of Oldenburg. The following expenses will be covered:
- Course costs for participation in UNILEAD.
- Travel costs: Flights to and from Germany (Economy class) and ground travel to and from Oldenburg (2. Class train). They kindly ask the participants to make their own travel arrangements – they will then be reimbursed in cash upon arrival in Oldenburg.
- Accommodation (including breakfast) and some joint meals at the two contact phases in Germany.
- Emergency health insurance during the contact phases.
- Open to 30-40 year-old junior leaders from universities who are active in the management of universities (e.g. program management,
quality management, human resources, advanced training, etc.);
- Applicants should have a Masters Degree;
- A maximum of 4 years of professional experience in university management;
- Very good English language skills (oral and written) are essential;
- International experience is an advantage.
Participants from higher education institutions of the following developing and emerging countries are eligible to apply:
- South East Asia: Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- Sub-Saharan Africa: Botswana, Burundi, Cameroon, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Mauritius, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
- Middle-, South America and Mexico: Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Paraguay, and Peru.
- Northern Africa and Middle East: Algeria, Egypt, Iran, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, and Tunisia.
The selection criteria are based on the following points:
- Personal profile match
- Motivation letter
- Institutional profile match
- Description of reform project in concordance with the strategy of the university
- Influence and impact of the project on the university’s strategy
- Recommendation of university’s top management
How To Apply
The following information and documents are requirements for an application:
- Application Form including a clear practice-oriented Project Proposal – using the online-form provided on the website.
- Letter of Motivation including date and signature – uploaded to the online-application form as PDF file.
- Letter of Recommendation from university top management (President/Rector or Vice-Chancellor/Vice-Rector of the university) including date and signature. The letter should describe and emphazise the managerial qualifications and leadership competencies, the future potential of the candidate – uploaded to online-application form as PDF file.
- Proof of excellent English proficiency (e.g. TOEFL, Cambridge Certificate) will be an asset (PDF-file).
For more information, visit DIES UNILEAD
Application Deadline: October 11, 2021
What’s your take on this? We believe this article was helpful, if yes, don’t hesitate to share this information with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, and other Social Platforms.