Do you love cooking and have you been complimented on your food presentation skills more than just once? Is not everyone that knows how to cook or even loves to cook because they know they won’t prepare food that will taste sweet?
Are you the kind that loves preparing high-quality and healthy meals for your family or friends? If yes, then you need to seriously consider Culinary Arts as a career path.
Developing skill in Culinary Arts is no simple feat. As much as you may be talented in this art, you still need to acquire skills such as cleanliness, organization, business acumen, and many others that will work to ensure that you are successful in the food industry. These courses in Culinary Arts will help you to achieve such skills and put them to practice.
Culinary Arts Schools in Kenya
The following list contains details of Culinary Arts colleges in the country and the various courses they offer.
1. Boma International Hospitality College
Boma International Hospitality College, in conjunction with Business & Hotel Management School (BHMS), is well known for its prowess in training in the hospitality and tourism industry. The college, which is owned by the Kenya Red Cross Society, prides itself in offering the following to its students: internships at high-class hotels such as Boma Hotel, Dussit D2, Serena, Kempinski, and Raddison Blu; training in a 5-star hotel environment, as well as lucrative externships. Boma College has three intakes, in January, May, and September.
- Diploma In Culinary Arts: The course takes two years to complete, and it is beneficial to those students who wish to become chefs or those who are more inclined towards food and beverage management. The minimum entry requirement for the course is a C plain in the Kenya Certificate Of Secondary Education(KCSE) exams or 3 passes in IGCSE.
- Certificate in Food and Beverage Operations – A one year program that is divided into three terms.
- Short Courses: Certificate in International Cookery, Certificate in Pastry and Bakery; Certificate in Food & Beverage Service Techniques.
Interestingly, students who wish to pursue education at Boma International Hospitality College should know that the institution offers accommodation for its students.
Boma International Hospitality College Contacts
- Location: Red Cross Road, Nairobi
- Telephone Numbers: +254 719 050 540, +254 719 050 550
- Email Addresses: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
2. International Hotel and Tourism Institute
International Hotel and Tourism Institute first started admitting students in May 2015, and its main values include excellence, integrity, collaboration, professionalism, and responsibility. The training institute provides BTEC accredited courses that give its students leverage in the competitive hospitality industry.
The institute has three intakes: in January, May, and September.
- BTEC Higher National Diploma in Culinary Arts – This is a two-year program that enables students to learn in a classroom environment as well as practice their skills in a professionally-equipped kitchen.
International Hotel and Tourism Institute Contacts
- Location: Nyeri Road, Kileleshwa
- P. O. Box 43111 – 00100 Nairobi
- Phone Numbers: 0728 787 088, +254 711 129 610
- Email Address: email@example.com
3. Kenya Utalii College
Utalii College is probably the most popular in the hotel and tourism industry in Kenya. The educational institution was established about forty-seven years ago, and it has since managed to produce locally and internationally-skilled graduates who do well in the hospitality industry. Culinary Arts in Utalli College is especially desired by many students due to the college’s successful history.
Among the Culinary Arts-related courses offered at Utalii include:
- Certificate in Food and Beverage Service and Sales – takes one and a half years
- Certificate in Food Production Apprenticeship – two years
- Certificate in Food Production – one and a half years
Utalii College has campuses in Nairobi and Kisumu. It is also one of the Culinary Arts schools in Mombasa.
Kenya Utalii College Contacts
- Main Campus Location: Off Thika Road
- P.O. BOX 31052-00600 Nairobi
- Telephone Numbers: +254 733 600 584, +254 722 205 492, + 254 722 205 491
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Air Travel and Related Studies Centre
The institution offers courses in hospitality, tourism, international languages, travel, cabin crew, and airport operations. Its students enjoy guaranteed attachment opportunities, full board accommodation, and visits to five-star hotels.
- International Pastry and Bakery Production – The course takes one year
- International Food Production – two years
- International Food and Beverage Service – one year
Air Travel And Related Studies Centre Contacts
- Location: Rhino Park Road, Karen
- Telephone Numbers: +254 721380590, 0733604139
- Email Addresses: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Top Chefs Culinary Institute
Top Chefs is an institute that takes pride in producing highly-trained individuals who continue to do well in the hospitality industry, not only in Kenya but also in other countries.
- Chefs Diploma: For this diploma, the student will be required to pay a non-refundable application fee of KShs. 1000. The student will also undergo an entry test in English, adaptability, Mathematics, and general knowledge. The Chefs Diploma course takes two years, with two six-month periods of the internship.
- Pastry and Bakery Diploma: The next intake for this course will be in June 2019. The course teaches its students to use their imagination and determination to advance their careers in the field. The course requirements are the same as that for the Chefs Diploma, alongside an additional interview which the prospective student will have to undertake.
Top Chefs Culinary Institute Contacts
- Location: 5th Floor Parklands Plaza, Muthithi Road, Westlands
- P.O. BOX 740 – 00606
- Telephone Numbers: +254 020 3740166, +254-700691427
- Email: email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions about Culinary Arts
What do people want to know most about this field?
1. What Are The Job Opportunities In Culinary Arts?
After undertaking a course in this field, many job opportunities become available to the student. They include being a:
- Chef – Saucier, vegetable, fry, roast, fish, or grill chef
- Culinary Arts instructor
- Restaurant cook
- Food production manager
- Executive chef
- Nutrition service manager
- Food and beverage manager
- Food service manager
- Assistant food service manager
- Kitchen manager
- Catering sales manager
- Director of food and beverages
- Director of catering
- Food service director
- Culinary manager
- Restaurant general manager
- Food service supervisor
- Chef instructor
- Dietary manager
- Director of food and nutritional services
- Swing cook or roundsman
- Pastry chef
As you can see, earning a certification in Culinary Arts can give you a significant career boost
2. How Many Years Is The Culinary Arts Course?
The duration of your course depends on your school and of course, your schedule (whether you are a part-time or full-time learner). However, on average, a certificate or diploma course will take nine to twelve months. An Associate degree takes two years, a Bachelors degree takes four years, and an internship will take three to six months.
3. What Is Culinary Arts Degree?
This is a degree in anything related to cooking. In more distinct terms, it is a degree in the arts of preparation, cooking, and presentation of meals.
4. Can You Major In Culinary Arts?
Yes. The skills you learn in school can be applied in the kitchen and various other positions as listed in the job opportunities above.
A Culinary Arts degree is an excellent choice for anyone who loves to prepare meals and appealingly present them. This course is in high demand, primarily because of the lucrative tourism industry in Kenya. If this is your passion, why not make it a reality by enrolling in any one of the schools mentioned above?
What’s your take on this? We believe this article was helpful, if yes, don’t hesitate to share this information with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, and other Social Platforms.