Top 10 Best Country for International Students to Study and Work in 2023

Filed in Education by on March 16, 2023 0 Comments

International students can now study and work away from home in one these countries all over the world. We all know how the present economy has been and no country seems to be free from its crippling effect, however, there are still countries you could attend schools at, and afterward, or while in school, could have the privilege of working as well.

If you considered studying abroad, and then kicked against it because of the cost of living, well, you could make it work, study and earn, it’s the only way to survive and keep your dreams alive too.


In this article, I’ll introduce to you the best countries you could study at and work as well in 2023 as an international student. Now, how is that? Scroll down with me.

1. USA

The first input list is the United States of America. This country always seems to throttle the rest, and take a spot at the top, let’s see why it’s one of the best countries to study and work in, as an international student.

In the US, the cost of living is $1,000 – $1,500 per month, and you could study so many amazing courses such as Engineering, Computer Science, Business and Management courses, Pharmacy, Data Science, and still have the day to visit some of the jaw-dropping landscapes of the country.

In order to be able to study as you work as an international student, you will need an F-1 visa, which is the one given to international students that will study a full-time program.

F-1 visa also gives you the right to work on-Campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week during the study period and up to 40 hours per week during the vacation period, and you know what that means.

2. Canada

Next on our list is Canada, however, didn’t see this coming. I have for many reasons been a big fan of this country: Serene, sophisticated, what more would you seek? The cost of living is $1,320 per month and as an international student with a work permit in Canada who is enrolled full-time in a Designated Learning Institution (DLI), you have the right to work off campus for 20 hours per week without work permit. This means you can work for anybody, and do any job of your choice. You could equally work on campus if you want.

3. United Kingdom

With a £1,334 per month cost of living, the United Kingdom always has a lot to offer international students. This country is known for standard universities, multiracial communities, and lots more.

Imagine studying and working in a country where you could visit historical landmarks that look like an architectural drawings from a movie.

To study and work in the United Kingdom as an international student, you’ll need a Tier 4 student visa. This is the visa that is given to international students that are studying in the UK for six months or longer.

You will be allowed to work for a maximum of 20 hours per week, depending on your course of study. Also, on vacations, you’ll be allowed to work full-time for up to 40 hours per week.

4. Germany

It isn’t news that Germany has been an attractive place to study for international students for years now. With the Cost of Living at €850 per month, security, and study-work privilege, who wouldn’t go for it?

Studying in Germany accords you lots of opportunities such as standard education, low tuition fees, and some stay-back job options as an international student.

In order to work for up to 20 hours a week during semesters, students must come from EU/EEA countries, while students who are not members of these states are only allowed to work 240 half days or 120 full days per year, either in term or during vacations.

If you can lay your hands on a student assistant job, then you’ll be exempted from the 120-day rule. This is because there are no limitations to jobs at the university. However, you will have to inform the foreigners’ registration office if you want to work more hours.

5. Australia

One of the most comfortable places in Europe, Australia offers an AUD1,870 per month cost of living the country’s immigration system allows students visiting the country on a student visa the chance to work up to 20 hours per week during term time, and during vacations, students can work full-time.

However, in order to work and study as an international student, you must have a Tax File Number (TFN), at the Australian Taxation Office to get their TFN. You can get this after providing your name, current address, and date of birth. You may also be required to supply the date of your arrival in Australia, your passport, and proof of enrollment.

6. Switzerland

Switzerland might seem a little expensive for international students because of €1,300 – €1,700 per month, coupled with some issues. Then again, International students could work a maximum of 15 hours per week during their studies, and up to 100 percent during semester breaks. This mustn’t go unreported though; you will need to report all cases to the responsible immigration authorities.

International students from outside the EU/EFTA region may only start working six months after the beginning of their studies.

7. France

Did someone say France? France has lots of rich cultures and foods, a cost of living at €1,000 – €1,200 per month, and is one of the EU states. As an international student, you have the right to work both on-Campus and Off-Campus, while studying here. The same applies to all students in France. Students who are not European Union nationals must have a student resident permit.

The country’s law permits foreign students to work up to 964 hours per year, or the equivalent of 60% of the maximum working hours permitted.

8. Spain

Good thing Spain is one of the EU countries and has a plethora of courses for international students and archeological landmarks for tourist attraction.

Spain’s work Requirements for EU/EEA students are the same as for Spanish students. International students whose countries are EU/EEA members are free to work in Spain without work permits or any other restrictions. All they need is a signed work contract between the student and the employer.

For non-EU/EEA students, requirements to work in Spain include:

  • Engage in part-time work (20 hours per week / 4 hours per day).
  • Obtain a work permit (the employer should make the application).
  • Have another main means of financial support (the part-time work income should only be complementary).
  • Find a balance between studies and work (do not let work interfere with your studies in Spain).
9. New Zealand

New Zealand is known for producing professionals in distinguished spheres of life, and students can choose from a wide variety of courses to study.

You can work a maximum of 20 hours a week if you are studying in a full-time academic program for at least two years, as long as you have working rights on your student visa. In the case where you need to gain more work experience during your study program, you may also receive permission to work for more hours a week.

10. Ireland

With exceptional courses to choose from, Ireland is becoming a destination of choice for many international students. To study and work in Ireland, International students engaged in full-time study of at least one year’s duration on a course leading to a qualification that is recognized by the Irish Department of Education and Skills currently do not need a work permit to work in Ireland.

Also, students holding a valid immigration stamp 2 permission will be permitted to work 20 hours per week.

What’s your take on this? We believe this article was helpful, if yes, don’t hesitate to share this information with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, and other Social Platforms.

Leave a Reply